On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 14:25 +0200, Catalin Grigoroscuta wrote:
> But now, qpkg does not exist anymore, and I've read it was replaced by
> equery.

See other messages for how to get qpkg back.

> However, there are two problems with equery:
> 1. it disregards the use flags. equery depends <package> displays all
> packages that may depend on a package, not the ones that really do on my
> system.
> I remember seeing something in bugzilla about this issue, but is was
> marked as fixed, but I could not figure out in which version (I have the
> latest gentoolkit).

Can you give me an example?  I'm not sure that I understand the issue.

> 2. it disregards the virtual packages. According to equery, I cas safely
> remove xorg-x11 (!), because no one depends on it! But if I do so, all
> packages depending on the virtual x11 package would be broken.
>
> So, considering this, can someone point out how can I safely remove a
> package?

That is because the packages don't depend on xorg-x11, they depend on
anything the provides the functionality of X.  An equery depends
virtual/x11 will show all of the packages that are dependent upon X.

I have noted this as a potential enhancement to have equery look at the
provides information and display the dependencies of the provided
virtual.

Regards,
Paul