Ernie Schroder wrote:

On Thursday 19 January 2006 12:39, a tiny voice compelled Neil Bothwick to write:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:30:52 -0500, Ernie Schroder wrote:
Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[nomerge      ] media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.8.10
[nomerge      ]  media-libs/gst-plugins-0.8.10  +alsa -debug +esd +oss
[ebuild  N    ]   gnome-base/gconf-2.10.1-r1  -debug -doc -static 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ]    gnome-base/orbit-2.12.3  -debug -doc +ssl -static 0
kB [nomerge      ] x11-misc/xscreensaver-4.23  -gnome -insecure-savers
+jpeg -kerberos -krb4 -new-login +nls -offensive +opengl +pam -xinerama
[ebuild  N    ]  gnome-base/libglade-2.5.1  -debug -doc 0 kB

Could this be a result of firefox-bin and openoffice-bin being built
with gnome support? How would portage know that? I don't understand the
gst-plugins connection either.
gst-plugins depends on gconf, xscreensaver depends on libglade. These are
unconditional dependencies, nothing to do with USE flags. The only way to
get rid of the dependencies is the get rid of the dependent packages.

GNOME libraries are not only used by GNOME, so you'll find them on most
desktop systems.

Yeah, Thanks Neil. After some more playing, it had become pretty clear that xscreensaver was calling for libglade. I want to keep that. I had tried removing the gst-plugins and gstreamer, but an emerge -uaDntv wanted to bring them all back. I've more or less resigned myself to the fact that I'm stuck with a few gnome packages.
A quick glance at my profile reveals the 'gstreamer' USE flag in make.defaults. Be sure that you have that explicitly disabled in make.conf before giving up.