b.n. schreef:
>> I myself don't see it as "minimal fuss", not least because KDE
>> makes so many choices for me in its "feature richness" that I have
>> to spend two hours (I'm being kind) finding all the bloody options
>> that I don't want and change them or turn them off or whatever.
>
> Sorry, I simply can't understand what are you talking about:
>
>> suppose I don't *want* my file manager integrated with my browser
>> (didn't want it in Windows, don't want it now).
>
> Where's the problem? I use Firefox as a browser and Konqueror as a
> file manager.

Yes, but you then have bloat (because Konqueror contains web browsing
features that you are not using, therefore the code is unnecessary for
you, but nonetheless present).

>> I don't *want* to figure out how to tell KMix not to override my
>> Alsa mixer settings,
>
> Disable it. Do not install it.

I have to then spend time finding out how to disable it or avoid
installing it.

>> and I don't want to have to decide whether I want drive icons but
>> not application icons (or no icons at all) on my desktop, and then
>> tell KDE my decision.
>
> I can't even understand what do you mean here. If you don't want
> icons, don't put them on the desktop. It's that simple. You have to
> do *nothing* to avoid icons on your desktop!

The (presumably) default setting (since I've never touched it, and it is
checked in kcontrol) is "Show icons on desktop". There are then two
additional tabs for kinds of icons that you can enable or disable (for
file types and drives). Fine, I can turn them off, but again, there is
then a whole lot of backend code for a feature that I do not want in the
first place and know I don't want.

>> I don't want to name my desktops, or put a separate wallpaper on
>> each one.
>
> Nor I want, nor KDE ever forced me to do it.

Code, code, code. Bloat (for me).

>> I have no interest in going through 6 tabs to specify Window
>> Behaviour (I'm looking at the KDE Control Center right now).
>
> Ok, that's a good point. However that 6 tabs are more probably than
> not a wrapper to a plain text config file, that you can configure
> with your favourite editor all at once.

Code for a gui function that I'm not using if I'm just editing the base
text file anyway.

>> And I certainly don't care to be bothered with the problem of how
>> to make KDE play nice with my GTK apps (I do have some GTK 1 apps,
>> which are much more problematic than GTK 2 apps in this respect)
>> simply because I might happen to want to use some program whose
>> name doesn't bloody start with "K".
>
> What do you mean by "play nice"? I use a lot of GTK apps (both 1 and
> 2) and they work perfectly fine here without any fuss.

Yes they work fine, but they look like poop unless you jump through some
hoops to "integrate" them with the look of your KDE desktop. This may
involve installing additional applications (gtk-chtheme or
gtk-engine-qt), or editing a text file (if you need to "fix" GTK 1
programs, which are generally not affected by the "theme consolidation"
programs, which generally assume you're working with GTK2). Since one of
KDE's big selling points is an integrated look-n-feel, "outside" apps
that break the loveliness of the KDE desktop are very noticeable.

>> I have several K-apps installed that I actually don't want, because
>>  the K-app I do use (Krusader) won't open files from within an
>> archive using GTK apps like eye of gnome or Open Office. karc can't
>>  pass the file to these apps.... but it works fine with KView or
>> KWord. Because K apps like other K apps. That makes perfect sense,
>> since it's all supposed to be an integrated environment, but to me
>> it feels like a prison.
>
> I understand what you mean here, that's something that I hate too.
> It's because other apps don't understand kioslaves. I think kioslaves
>  are the best thing after sliced bread. Typing simply "smb:/" to
> access a Samba share, or "ftp:/" for accessing transparently FTP
> filesystems, or "zip:/" for what's in a compressed archive is
> wonderful. I think other apps should work on compatibility about
> this. It's simply a good idea.

I don't even type things like that, I bookmark locations in my file
manager (admittedly, Krusader, if installed with konqueror support--
which means I have to install Konq, though I don't use Konq-- does
recognize kioslaves, so I can bookmark folders in media:/ or smb:/ ) and
just go where I intend to go. without further ado. But I can bookmark
locations (even Samba shares and HAL mounts) in most file managers I
have available (Nautilus, Krusader, TuxCommander, emelFM2)

>> But I simply don't like DEs. If I'm going to spend time fine-tuning
>>  my desktop, I want exactly what I want, exactly the way I like it,
>>  not "as close to how I like it as the DE supports". That's why I
>> use "build-it-yourself" WMs like OB3 and FVWM.
>
> I can't see why a WM can be more "exactly what you want" than a DE.

I want to use the programs that I like, without worrying about whether
they are "compatible" with my DE. I don't want to be "forced" to install
or use a program I don't particularly like because it is compatible with
my DE. With a WM, I don't have to have every installed program on my
menu; I have only the programs I use regularly, organized in a manner
that makes sense to me, and a run box for those times I may need one of
the others. I don't have to have Kicker, or any kind of taskbar, or I
can have the system tray in one corner, and the taskbar in another. and
a wharf/dock down the side, or whatever works for me, from the ground up.

The idea being I start with less and add what I actually want, rather
than start with more, remove what I don't want, and hope that the result
is OK. I suppose some people work better backwards (removing excess
rather than adding to a minimal start), but I don't.

>> Each to his own taste, and if your taste is KDE, then more power to
>>  you. I accept that it's very good for what it is. I just don't
>> happen to like what it is.
>
> Oh, this is clear :)

:-) . I don't want to fight about it, since I have no interest in what
desktops everybody else wants to use, and no percentage in anyone using
"my" desktop GUI over any other. Just wanted to make my point clear.

Holly.