John Jolet wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2006, at 1:56 PM, Tom Smith wrote:
>
>> John Jolet wrote:

>>> try "export TERM=vt220" and see if that helps.
>>

>> This did work for "pstree" but seriously broke functionality in  Vim, an
>> app that is heavily used via SSH.
>>
>> I did notice something interesting, though. If I set (in Kermit)
>>
>> Terminal Type: vt220
>> Terminal Remote-Charset: cp437
>>
> the next thing I would try is export the TERM value at the gentoo
> command-line and the TERM value at the other end both vt220.
>
> Okay, now for another question, that may or may not be relevant.  why
> is kermit involved?  if you are sshing into another box, why use kermit?

Sorry, I probably should've clarified this from the beginning...

I'm using Kermit 95 on Windows XP Pro to connect to my Linux server.
(Kermit 95 is a commercial, Windows-only product; while ckermit is the
*nix version and freely available.) That said...

I believe I've done the equivalent of what you're asking. I ran the
"export TERM=vt220" within the SSH session (on the server) and then
changed Kermit 95 to match that terminal type. (This should have the
same effect as what you suggested, right?)