gentuxx schreef:
> Hi all,

<snip>
> I went to do an `emerge -Duatv world` tonight, and I get dev-php/php
> and dev-php/mod_php blocking.  So I uninstalled them, and thought
> that I would re-install later (if necessary).  When I run it again, I
> get dev-lang/php blocking dev-php/php-4.4.0-r4 (which is the one I
> just unemerged).  So, same logical progression, I go to unemerge
> dev-lang/php, and, lo and behold, it's not installed.

<snip>

> So, my questions to the group are these:
>
> 1)  Why does `emerge -Duatv world` find a package (which blocks
> another that it wants to update) that `emerge -CDatv world` does NOT
> find?

As far as I know, emerge -CDatv world is not even a valid command (at
least I hope it isn't).

This translates to

emerge --unmerge --deep --ask --tree --verbose world, and it seems to me
would unmerge everything on your system if it was allowed.

The usual use for --unmerge is to tell Portage what you specifically
want to unmerge; this should not be an automatic function (except in the
case of repair utilities such as depclean, which even those give you a
HUGE warning that unmerging "random" --as in "not pre-specified by the
user, but determined by a script"-- packages automatically can break the
system).

The actual answer to your question, though, is that the blocking package
is not a problem unless you want to emerge something that it blocks. So
of course it's not going to be "noticed" until you attempt to perform
such an action (emerging a package that is blocked by the installed
package).

> 2)  How do I rectify this little "version discrepancy" fixed so that
> I can get things updating normally again?

Iirc from several threads recently, there are one or more packages on
your system that rely on php which must be updated to ~arch, or else
they keep trying to bring in PHP4 (only the ~arch version can depend on
PHP5; the stable versions have a fixed dependency on PHP4).

I don't remember which programs they are, but if you don't feel like
searching the archives, you can look at your tree view to see what is
actually pulling in PHP4, upgrading that (or keywording it to unstable,
rather) and see if you still get the block.

Hope this helps,
Holly