James schreef:
> Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:
>
>> Try "PEAR-PEAR" (packages names are case-sensitive).
>
> # emerge --unmerge PEAR-PEAR --- Couldn't find PEAR-PEAR to unmerge.
> unmerge: No packages selected for removal.
>
>>> I even 'emerge --sync' again, today and still I have:
>
>> Add the --tree option to see what is actually trying to bring in
>> dev-php/mod_php and dev-php/php.
>
> # emerge --unmerge --tree PEAR-PEAR --tree implies --pretend...
> adding --pretend to options. These are the packages that I would
> unmerge: --- Couldn't find PEAR-PEAR to unmerge. unmerge: No packages
> selected for removal.
>

> I'm not so sure I tried what you are suggesting. Can if I missed your
> point, can you be more explicit in your syntax suggestions?

What Neil was saying was to add --tree to your emerge world command (not
your unmerge command), so that you could see what requires PEAR-PEAR to
be installed.

--tree shows the dependency/reverse dependency tree of the items to be
emerged, so you can see why something being emerged/upgraded as a
dependency of something that is currently up-to-date is being emerged
(and what the main application is). Example:

emerge -uaDNtv world

These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:

Calculating world dependencies -
 ...done!

[nomerge      ] media-gfx/gimp-2.2.10  USE="X aalib gimpprint gnome
gtkhtml jpeg lcms mmx mng png python scanner sse svg tiff wmf -debug
-doc -hardened -pdf -postscript -smp"

[ebuild     U ]  media-gfx/gimp-print-5.0.0_rc2 [5.0.0_rc1] USE="cups
foomaticdb gtk nls readline -ppds" 0 kB

This output shows that gimp-print is being updated as a dependency of
gimp (which is "no(t being) merge(d)" because it is itself up to date).
This is of course no great surprise, but with things like PHP and Apache
and whatnot, this information can be invaluable.

In any case, when you see what is requiring PEAR-PEAR to be
installed/upgraded, you may well find that you have more options as to
how to handle the block.

HTH,
Holly