Sheesh, I finally found a solution to this very annoying problem (may
also help the gentleman with the UK keyboard problem (Peter Ruskin?)...
I actually discovered this while playing around with QEMU, it had the
EXACT same problem as WTS.

The problem appears to be an X keyboard mapping issue. In my situation,
the users only use the number keypad for entering numbers. So I created
the following

~/.Xmodmap:
keycode 79=7
keycode 80=8
keycode 81=9
keycode 83=4
keycode 84=5
keycode 85=6
keycode 87=1
keycode 88=2
keycode 89=3
keycode 90=0
keycode 91=period
keycode 86 = plus
keycode 77 =

This essentially hard codes the number keypad and (theoretically)
disables the Num Lock button ("keycode 77")--theoretically because the
number keypad now works perfectly but only if the Num Lock LED is ON on
the client side (Windows, in my case).

I still don't fully understand why or how this works because the number
keypad has always worked within X during a VNC session, problems arose
only during a Win4Lin or QEMU session and only within those sessions.

Anyway, thought this might help others who may be having the same or
similar problems.

~ Tom