> What I don't understand is why doesn't it just do this:
>
> emerge app-admin/gnome-system-tools app-editors/gedit app-text/evince
> gnome-base/control-center gnome-base/gdm

because there are slotted packages - and revdep-rebuild would have to
take the newest version within the same slot. That is a task, that is
not very simple - well, actually portage (emerge itself) has a major bug
for slotted packages:
  emerge only noticed updates within the latest slot

(so portage will not notice any update to gcc 3.3 if you've got gcc 3.4
installed, for example)

> In other words, why does it try to force the = and the version?
>
> More often than not, if I take those off (like the second line), then shit
> just works.

yes, it does because you're lucky and don't have slotted packages in
that line.

> I've tried the flag --package-names, but it doesn't seem to do anything
> different.
> Am I being retarded?

I remember, that it once worked for me! really!

You have to remove ~/.rev* and then run "revdep-rebuild --package-names"
again.