I thought that this was in the top 4 lines of the kernel Makefile.
It's embedded in the kernel after the kernel is compiled.
Example is from my servers below for the 2.4 kernel.
The extraversion line is set to whatever I want...it just appends
that to the end of kernel name...so if you want to have two 2.4.31
kernels you just change the extra version to something different
to differenciate between the kernels.

Standard location is going to be /usr/src/linux/Makefile

VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 4
SUBLEVEL = 31
EXTRAVERSION = -gentoo-r1

KERNELRELEASE=$(VERSION).$(PATCHLEVEL).$(SUBLEVEL)$(EXTRAVERSION)

On 1/29/06, Ernie Schroder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sunday 29 January 2006 11:29, a tiny voice compelled Neil Bothwick to
write:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:33:39 -0500, Ernie Schroder wrote:
> > $ grep VERSION /usr/src/linux/.config
> > CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="2.6.14-r-4_new"
> >
> > Hmm that seems to be it. It would appear that I have to rebuild the
> > kernel with appropriate version descriptor. I used my old config and
> > added the 2.6.14-r4-new string when I built that kernel.
>
> You need to set it to "", but it's not critical for now.

So true! I am annoyed by this but as far as I can see, the only way to get rid
of the string is to rebuild my kernel. I guess I'll wait for the next version
bump.

--
Regards, Ernie