Bruce Burden schreef:

> Okay, I have fglrx as the driver in the xorg.conf file. And, at 24
> bit resolution, xdm starts X. Bliss!
>
> Then I realized that nothing was completing if it created an xterm of
>  output or so. Drat!
>
> OS is Gentoo 2.6.15-gentoo-r1. Xorg is 6.8.2. Machine is a HP ZD8000
> with an ATI X600 Mobile Radeon.
>
> Any ideas what is going on? Clearly it is related to X and fglrx, as
> the xorg.conf "ATI" driver doesn't do this.
>
> Modules:
>
> agpgart
>
> ati_agp
>
> fglrx

Hi, Bruce :-).

Number one, please don't hijack threads. This post came as a reply to
the "update-eix has memory problems" thread; apparently you hit "reply"
and changed the subject, rather than sending a new mail to the list
(which would have started a new thread). This is bad mailing-list etiquette.

Number two, as to your actual problem:

a) I don't understand what "nothing was completing if it created
an xterm of output or so" means. What is "nothing"? "(not) completing" how?

I suppose what you're saying is that applications that produce terminal
output are not completing in some fashion, but even if that's a correct
reading, it still doesn't tell me much about what the problem actually
is. Some error messages would be much more useful in this regard.

b) I am wondering about that ati-agp module. Does that mean you're using
the internal fglrx agp module ("UseInternalAGPGart" set to "yes" in
xorg.conf), or that you're using the kernel module for ATI IGP
motherboards? Do you actually have an ATI IGP mobo in your .... laptop,
is it?

c) does the fglrx driver actually now support the X600 series (mobile)?
I know that people with X800s (desktop) don't have support (and, man,
are they P.O'd), and mobile chip support tends to be somewhat choppy, so
it's possible that there's only partial support for the chipset,
resulting in this issue (I have a 9800SE, so while I don't find much to
be grateful for in the ATI drivers, I am at least grateful for an older
model card that is "supported" as well as anything is supported by the
proprietary Linux drivers).

Anyway, hope this helps, sorry for posting to a hijacked thread, but
hopefully Bruce will repost in a new thread and we can go further.

Holly