On 2/3/06, Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Hello, I have the following in package.keywords:
> > >
> > > xfce-base/libxfce4mcs
> > > xfce-base/libxfcegui4
> > > xfce-base/libxfce4util
> > >
> > > They need to be in there for xfmedia.  Whenever I run 'emerge -avDuN
> > > world' portage wants to either upgrade or downgrade between the two
> > > most recent ~x86 versions of the packages.  Does anyone know how to
> > > fix this?
> >
> > Use package.mask to mask out the more recent version.
> >

> I have wpa_supplicant in package.keywords too.  It has four ~x86
> packages that are more recent than the latest x86 package and it
> doesn't get caught in an upgrade/downgrade loop.  Why is this
> happening with the xfce-base stuff?

It happens because of a long-time bug in portage that doesn't handle
some dependancy cases very well.

In this case:

pkg A depends on pkg C > version X
pkg B depends on pkg C < version Y
the current version of pkg C is >= Y, and X is < Y.

If for example X is 1.0, Y is 1.2, and the current version is 1.3,
then portage will oscillate between merging pkg C 1.0 and 1.3.

-Richard