Daniel D Jones schreef:
> I'd like to run Firefox 1.5.  The latest stable build appears to be
> 1.07.  I added ww-client/mozilla-firefox ~x86 to my package.keywords
>  file, which resulted in Deer Park being installed.  I don't want
> Deer Park, just the 1.5 release version.

The version labelled as Deer Park under Gentoo *is* the 1.5 release
version, to the best of my knowledge.

As I understand it, there is a licensing requirement from the Mozilla
group that specifies that compiled versions provided by anyone other
than Mozilla.org cannot use the 'official' branding. Therefore, the
release displays "Deer Park" but is otherwise identical (built from the
same source release tarball as the Mozilla.org compiled release, just
not built by Mozila.org, but by you or the Gentoo devs).

Apparently you can 'fix' this (if it must be fixed) by activating the
./configure switch --enable-official-branding. You can of course do this
by copying the current ebuild to your PORTDIR_OVERLAY, making the
adjustment, and compiling that instead, or by --as you said-- installing
or compiling the official Mozilla binary or source from the Mozilla.org
site.

Check the forums, I believe that that's where I discovered what
information I know about this issue.

> I've considered downloading the source and manually installing but
> I'd prefer not to do something which may confuse portage at some
> point.  Thanks for any suggestions.

That's what Portage overlay directories are for; to do something like
this without confusing Portage. Self-regulating, of course-- if the
issue is not important enough to the user to make it worth their while
to learn how to set up an overlay, and how to populate it with the
relevant ebuilds (especially if the relevant ebuild must be created from
scratch rather than just adjusted), then the issue is not necessarily
important enough to  warrant "solving", offering the user an opportunity
to re-evaluate the severity  of the issue. As with all things Gentoo,
it's your choice as to how you want to handle it.

Holly