After the essentially forced upgrade, I'm now running kernel
2.6.15-gentoo-r1 (udev) from 2.6.9 (devfs).

I have a Senao Engenius 200 mW PCMCIA card in a PCMCIA/PCI adapter in my
server -- this card is then the wireless AP for my network.

I can't get my wlan0 to show up like it used to, therefore hostapd won't
start.

daevid# /etc/init.d/hostapd start
 * Starting wlan0
 *   Bringing up wlan0
 *     10.10.10.1/24
         wlan0 does not exist
 * ERROR:  Problem starting needed services.
 *         "hostapd" was not started.

I used to do this after each kernel compile:

emerge -v  net-wireless/hostap-driver \
             net-wireless/hostap-utils \
             net-wireless/hostapd

And previously I loaded the modules via /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

#hostap
#hostap_crypt_wep
#hostap_crypt_ccmp
#hostap_crypt_tkip
#hostap_cs

The driver now mentions I should use the newer one in the 2.6.15 kernel.
Therefore I've commented out the above, and did not use the
net-wireless/hostap-driver. I compiled the driver directly into the kernel,
NOT as a module this time either.

This shows in dmesg, so it appears to be loaded:

orinoco 0.15rc3 (David Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Pavel Roskin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, et al)
orinoco_pci 0.15rc3 (Pavel Roskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Gibson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> & Jean Tourrilhes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
Loaded prism54 driver, version 1.2
hostap_plx: 0.4.4-kernel (Jouni Malinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
hostap_pci: 0.4.4-kernel (Jouni Malinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

/dev has 1490 entries, but none of them look useful here. I saw some folks
mentioning /dev/wifi0 or /dev/eth* but I don't have either of them showing.

daevid# iwconfig
eth0      no wireless extensions.
eth1      no wireless extensions.
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0 is my outside network (ie. Cable company) and eth1 is my inside LAN --
both of them are working fine.

I saw this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-laptop@lists.debian.org/msg46547.html
But I don't know what to look for in /dev that would show upon plug/unplug.
Do I really even need to "program" a script like this?

I see there is net-wireless/linux-wlan-ng, but I'm pretty sure I don't need
that, as that's what hostap does right?

So, what am I missing or not doing right?