Robin Atwood schreef:
> I need a device /dev/net/tun to use with hercules. tun is defined in
> the kernel and the traditional mknode method works fine but I loose
> it after a reboot.  After a bit of research I added:
>
> # tun device for hercules KERNEL=="tun", NAME="net/tun"
>
> to /etc/udev/50-udev.rules but it doesn't seem to hack it. :( Anybody
> any ideas?
>
> TIA -Robin.

Hey, Robin,

I don't know what, if anything, is wrong with your rule, but I'm almost
sure you're adding it to the wrong file.

(from a Linux Format article about udev):

-----
Making up the rules
The rules are contained in files in /etc/udev/rules.d. The default
file is usually called 50-udev.rules. Don’t change this file as it
could be overwritten when you upgrade udev. Instead, write your
rules in a file called 10-udev.rules. The low number ensures it
will take priority over any definitions in the default file.
-----

Basically, the 50-udev.rules file is the system default rules (managed
by Portage, in that if udev is updated, this file will also be updated),
local changes should go in 10-udev.rules (which is unmanaged by Portage,
I believe).

Anyway, it's possible that not using a higher-priority rules file to
create this rule is part of your problem, either because another rule in
the 50 file overrides it, or because your rule is being removed
everytime you update udev, which has been happening a lot lately.

Hope this helps until somebody with more familiarity with that
particular device and custom udev rules comes along.

Holly