On Thursday 09 February 2006 06:40 pm, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I take this back. After restarting the broswer I get the main page but
> none of the options work. They are all refuled potrt messages. Now,
> with cupsd not running locally it seems that there would be no way to
> set the default printer, or am I missing something?
>
> This machine is lightning. It sees two printers on the network. In
> windows IPP terms they are
>
> \\MINI\PSC1600
>
> and
>
> \\CHRISTMAS\Epson
>
> With cupsd not running I can still do lpstat and get info about the
> printers:
>
> lightning ~ # lpstat -a
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
> PSC1600 accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
> lightning ~ #
>
> But the system has decided that the Eson is always the default. Due to
> limitations of a few low-end Linux programs that cannot choose a
> printer I sometimes need to change the default to get the print out to
> go where I want it to go.

If you don't mind getting you hands dirty with the command line, try the
following as your normal user ID:

        lpoptions -d PSC1600

This should set the default printer for the logged-in user.

The "system default printer" is determined by the server, not the client, but
it can be overriden on a user-by-user basis in this way. The lpoptions
command creates a .lpoptions file in the home directory of the user with the
default specified.

Or you can set the PSC1600 to be the network-wide default printer by
connecting to remoteserver:631 and configuring it there - of course if you
have a ~/.lpoptions file that will override it.

--
Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,