On Wednesday 08 February 2006 15:46, Álvaro Castro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote about '[gentoo-user] dwg2dxf':

> Under my amd64 gentoo system it runs a beautiful
> segmentation error. Once I read that segmentation
> errors are generally due to the hardware. When I run
> it on my laptop (x86) everything goes ok.

Actually, segmentation errors are generally software bugs, but there are
some programs (e.g. gcc) that are so well-tested and widely used that
receiving a segmentation error in one of them is likely a hardware bug.

It could easily be that that the program in question is either not 64-bit
clean or is otherwise /slightly/ not portable between the two different
environments.  (For example, it expects structure packing to act like gcc
3.3 instead of gcc 3.4.)

Finally, it could be a transient error that isn't strictly due to any
incompatibility, but does show up more often (or at all) in a different
environment (prelink vs. non-prelink; swaping vs. not; memory empty/zero'd
vs. not, etc.)

> This is the first time I face this problem. What
> should I do. Doesn't it emulate the 32-bits
> environment??

AMD processors and the 64-bit linux kernel are quite happy running 32-bit
applications (although, that may require a particular kernel option).
However, 32-bit applications are not so happy loading 64-bit libraries or
(IIRC) vice-versa, so you may not have the libraries you need.  A dlopen()
call that program assumes works (doesn't check for an error) might cause
your segmentation fault, BTW.

"multilib", in gentoo-amd64-speak, should cause 32-bit versions of some
(many? most? all?) libraries to be built, but requires a profile change
and may force a emerge -e (guessing here, I'm not sure what, if any
special migration is needed when going to multilib from no-multilib or
vice-versa) even without multilib, a number of 32-bit libraries are
available through the emul-* packages in gentoo.

> Well, thanks all the people helping me with this hard
> work of building my linux system!

While I don't think I've helped with your issue, I'd be more quick to blame
it on the software you are trying to install, possibly in combination with
a/some missing libraries.  You might be able to see what is wrong with an
ldd/strace against the application.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]