Hi folks,

I did an update world last night with a --sync that was a couple of days old
because it took me several nights to get all the stuff (deltup didn't have
most of the diffs, so I had to download the whole tarballs).

After emerging, compiling, installing all of it, I did an etc-update. Among
other things, I merged the new udev rules and rebooted to get them into
effect.

Sound is gone. Artsd complains that there is no /dev/dsp - and rightly so. All
sound-related devices under /dev are gone. There are a couple of devices
under /dev/snd:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] /dev/snd $ ls -l
total 0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  0 Feb 11 21:14 controlC0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 24 Feb 11 21:14 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 16 Feb 11 21:14 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 25 Feb 11 21:14 pcmC0D1c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 Feb 11 21:14 timer

lsmod reveals that the relevant modules are loaded:

mii                     5888  1 sis900
snd_intel8x0           32224  0
snd_ac97_codec         84092  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_ac97_bus            3200  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm                83588  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              24836  1 snd_pcm
snd                    52196  4 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_page_alloc         11144  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

If I recollect correctly that's about what I had before.

Now, what did I wrong? ... and equally important: What do I do to get my noise
back? ;-)

Uwe

--
Why do consumers keep buying products they will live to curse?