On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 07:26 -0600, John Jolet wrote:
> Iain Buchanan wrote:
> >
> > nooooo!!!
> >
> >> Even easier:
> >> waldo# file -s /dev/sdb1
> >> /dev/sdb1: SGI XFS filesystem data (blksz 4096, inosz 256, v2 dirs)
> >
> > are you sure?  At least for fdisk, (and maybe for 'file' as well) this
> > will just show what you've "told" the partition it is.
> >
> hmm, hadn't considered you'd lie to fdisk.  You are correct, i'm sure,
> though lying to fdisk might have some consequences you don't like.  I
> guess I'm not sure why you don't just mount the puppy.

I would never dream of lying to the mighty fdisk ;) However, what
happens when you plug an unknown usb disk into a machine?  You don't
know what the partitions are, or what's been done to it.  If the OP was
writing a script to mount an unknown partition, IMHO looking at fdisk is
not the right way.

You can't just "mount the puppy" either (and let mount do the work)
because if you want to give options to mount, you also have to specify
-t <type>.

It's good to know that "file" actually looks at the data, and not the
partition table.
--
Iain Buchanan <iain at netspace dot net dot au>

If you go on with this nuclear arms race, all you are going to do is
make the rubble bounce.
                -- Winston Churchill