On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 14:04 -0200, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
> On 2/4/06, Franta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > As I said. It wont be SicroMoft. I'm still wondering. At this time of
> > writing I reduced the possibilities to Slackware or LFS.
> > I know, I'll need to do some work to get things running but if they are
> > running I know they ARE running. Nobody will "upgrade" my system to make
> > them stop working and thus make me to explore why and how to fix this.
> >
> > Don't advice me to use Windoooze. I'm a UNIX admin the last 20 years. It
> > would be the horror to become accustomed to this poorly program. Well,
> > program - I don't say this to be an OS.
> >

> I got a Pentium 100 running for about 6 months now, since that time I
> did not touch it, its more stable than our proxy server *lol*
>
> If you want the bleeding edge, all updates, all the latest versions
> and changes, you agree that at some point you'll have problems, that's
> no reason for flamming the distro and if you feel like it, DON'T!!
> Change the distro, simple as that... C'mon, I am a newbie compared to
> you. I'm running Linux for about 5 years, Gentoo for about an year,
> and still, got my udev working after some reading (the docs Philip
> mentioned)... You should be ashamed of your first post...
>

> > BTW: I'm a UNIX admin the last 20 years. So don't

> > > So OK. Bye. A little work on your part and you could be enjoying and
> > > 'working with' one of the best distros available. Maybe you should pack
> > > it in and just install Windoze...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Aloha => Beau;
> > >

> > --
> >

> --
> Daniel da Veiga
> Computer Operator - RS - Brazil

Got it. Realizing that I got a new baselayout, that things heavily
changed in udev AND things heavily changed in the kernel as of versoon
2.6.13 I decided to upgrade the kernel.

I've chosen 2.6.15 and averything works again (after a ``no | make
oldconfig'').

I'd assume that the newer baselayout(s) aren't compatible with kernels
older than 2.6.13 anymore. I'll not explore that. Maybe someone knows
that beter than me.

Right, RTFM will lead to success in every case but it't annoying to do
this again and again and again.

Right too, I could leave the comp as it is but if I try to install a new
tool (yes I'm still in this phase) I'll have to upgrade anyway. After a
month without internet connection I got about 30 packages to upgrade.
For now I'll upgrade rather often to hold this number low.