Hi all,

I have problem with DMA for my disk. I'll try to explain the situation.
I have IBM TP T43 and I'm trying to setup the DMA for the disks/cdrom.

The system disk is PATA disk (found at
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T43), so and there's a removable
cd/dvd, and I've bougth an internal frame for second hdd and its IDE disk.

The problem is that I'm not able to set the DMA up.

When I try to set the DMA:

hdparm -d 1 /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc
/dev/hdc:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

There's a second problem. I want to setup in my fstab the mount point
for the second HDD like this:
/dev/hdc5 /mnt/sgt1 reiserfs user,noauto 0 2
/dev/hdc6 /mnt/sgt2 reiserfs user,noauto 0 2

and when I boot with cd/dvd I receive during the boot this message:
Failed to open device "/dev/sda5": no such device or address

and the fsck get stuck with this message:
Fsck could not correct all errors, manual repair needed
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

These my problems :-\

I want to this:
1) to be able enable DMA for all devices: system HDD, second HDD and cd/dvd
2) I want to have defined mount points in the fstab and be able to
changing the second hdd and cd/dvd without problems

Please could someone help me ???

Thanks a lot for the help.

        Pat