On Sunday 12 February 2006 13:38, Alexander Skwar
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user]  Max Number
of Partitions':
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On Sunday 12 February 2006 06:45, Jarry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about
> > 'Re:
> >
> > [gentoo-user]  Max Number of Partitions':
> >> There are some limitations concerning lvm. I remember it is not
> >> recommended to use it for <swap>, root and /boot (and probably
> >> some more)...
> >
> > Some distros (kubuntu, I believe) use LVM swap by default if you use
> > LVM. While this could theoretically cause a problem,
>
> Could it? How and why?

I'm thinking of some obsure case where the code or data needed to read swap
has been swapped out.

> > Putting swap on LVM does have the distinct advantage of allowing swap
> > to be resized when you add or remove (!) ram -- I like swap to be ~2x
> > ram.
>
> Well, it's very easy to create a swap file. As that's no longer
> a disadvantage performancewise, what you stated is not an
> argument for LVM.

I don't like swap files cluttering up my filesystem. :)

> > Root on LVM is entirely possible.  I've run that way since I initially
> > installed linux (well, initially, this time around).  You do have to
> > create either an initrd or an initramfs that loads any needed modules
> > that are not built in and activates the lvm logical volumes; genkernel
> > can do this for you on gentoo.
>
> That's right. But if you also wish to use suspend-to-disk (swsusp
> or http://suspend2.net/ ; suspend2-sources), you won't be able
> to use a genkernel created initrd.

I roll my own initrd / initramfs anyway, it's not really that hard just a
bit tedious.

> >   /hda1 -- /boot as big as you need it.  I use 1G, but that's overkill
> > for most people.
>
> That's gross overkill :) I do very fine with only ~64 MB.

I have 4G of RAM.  I have an rescue initrd on boot that contains a gentoo
install with all my recovery tools, basically a livecd.  /boot is not
full, but 1G is a nice round number.

> > You can than create a volume group with your single physical volume
> > and begin cutting logical volumes out of it.  The default limit to the
> > number of logical volumes in a volume group is 255.  When you need
> > more storage you can add another hard drive, create a physical volume
> > out of the whole drive (no need to partition), extend your volume
> > group, and start growing your logical volumes across the new drive
>
> I'd *STRONGLY* urge to *NOT* do this, if we're talking about
> normal consumer hard disks and especially if no backups are
> done. What happens, if disk1 in a 2 disk VG goes broke?

Um, activate the vg in partial mode and lvols on the good disk will still
be accessible -- I think even writable, but I could be wrong on that
point.  I'm not sure if that's in the standard lvm startup scripts on
gentoo, but my initrd includes vgscan -P; vgchange -Pay.

> Nah, too dangerous for me. I use multiple Volume Groups.

Then you can't have a lv that's bigger than a single pv or migrate data
between pvs (to switch them out or w/e) using pvmove.

You are seriously crippling the usefulness of lvm if you always use a 1 pv
= 1 vg rule.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]