On 2/12/06, Gilberto Martins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That's amazing, and that's what I am telling my wife as I read (with
> her) all this messages, and show her how important is that we support
> Free Software. The need of knowing more, by teaching the "newbies".
> Thanks for all interest of each one who helped.
>

> Maarten:
>
> "If you have no hda, or if hda is the CDrom, it may be prudent to change
> the cabling so that linux is on the /dev/hda device.  Altough it is
> possible to boot from the slave drive, but it is more straightforward to
> boot from the master, and you may save yourself some headaches."
>
> Yes, I have a CDROM as /dev/hda, and I really thought it would bring
> me some troubles. Of course I can change it. But, I know (as you also
> said) it is possible to boot from a slave hard disk. I haven't tested,

Most modern BIOS have the option to boot from a lot of devices, you
can check if your BIOS have options to boot from hd1, or primary
slave, whatever your BIOS call it, just enter the SETUP and check for
it.

> but it is like a poor solution, for I wouldn't be learning. I honestly
> am almost considering going back to LILO and try after, but that would
> not be learning.

LILO won't help you, you're installing the boot loader in a slave
disk, whatever you do, your BIOS will still call for the master (in
most cases), check your grub config twice, change it for the slave
drive (hd(1,0)?!) and change your BIOS to boot from the slave...

Or, better, change the slave/master jumpers to a config where your HD
is the master, OR EVEN BETTER, make it so your CD/DVD drives go at the
secondary IDE (if your're using IDE, I suppose so from your posts).
When different drives with different speeds are in the same IDE one
may interfer and even slow down performance of the other.

> Holly Bostick:
>
> "Ummm... isn't there supposed to be a system.map for the kernel as well?"
>
> Yes, I think. Should I hen modificate grub config file, as in LILO ?
> if yes, how and where to make this change ?
> In addition, there is a very good article about the topic "system.map"
> in http://www.dirac.org/linux/system.map/. Mostly for debugging. also,
> the command "ps" make some use of it.
>
> I copied the following:
>
> # cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
> /boot/kernel-gentoo-2.6.12-gentoo-r10
>
> PS.: thanks for this valuable €0.02 !!    8)
>
> --

Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil