Ernie Schroder wrote:
I'm trying to emerge php here and do some playing around. I don't have apache on this box but installed monkeyd as a light weight webserver. Emerge php fails as below
checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
checking for readline in -lreadline... no
configure: error: readline library not found

!!! ERROR: dev-lang/php-5.0.5-r5 failed.
!!! Function php5_0-sapi_src_compile, Line 516, Exitcode 1
!!! configure failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

$ locate libreadline
/usr/lib/libreadline.so
/usr/lib/libreadline.a
<snip>
/lib/libreadline.so
/lib/libreadline.so.4
/lib/libreadline.so.5
/lib/libreadline.so.4.3
/lib/libreadline.so.5.0

Some help?

Did you try remerging  readline and then retry merging php?
emerge -v sys-libs/readline
OR if the readline libs are not required, merge with USE="-readline"

Craig