Michael Kintzios schreef:

>> -----Original Message----- From: Neil Bothwick
>> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: 16 February 2006 16:10 To:
>> gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re:
>> Problems with GRUB in the installation of Gentoo

>>> Hmm, it doesn't on my two boxen.  :-(  I do not have a vmlinuz,
>>> System.map and config links.
>>>
>>> Do I have to first set up the symlinks manually?
>> Looking as /sbin/installkernel, it doesn't appear that you have to
>> create the links. Of course, you do have to make sure /boot is
>> mounted first :)
>
> Yep, /boot is always mounted (just to be sure I won't forget it, I
> always mount it before I even cd into /usr/src/linux).  Running make
> && make modules_install does *not* create any links in my /boot
> directory,

Neither make nor make modules_install is *supposed* to create any links
in your /boot directory.

Make compiles the kernel and static modules, make modules_install
compiles the dynamic modules and installs them in
/lib/modules/<kernel-version/<wherever_they_belong>.

This is why you then have to either copy the compiled kernel (and
supplemental files like .config and system.map, if you want) to /boot.
make install (which is a different command than make modules_install)
does this automatically, and additionally makes symlinks called vmlinuz
and vmlinuz.old (if a previous kernel exists), and updates lilo (if
available). If you use grub, if grub.conf is set to load vmlinuz as the
current kernel, and vmlinuz.old as the previous kernel, you don't then
have to update grub in any way when you have used make install to
install your newly-compiled kernel, because make install changes the
symlink for the previous kernel to vmlinuz.old, and makes the symlink
for the newly installed kernel vmlinuz. Kernels older than the current
and most-recent-previous can be added manually to the menu directly.

My impression is that you haven't yet run make install.

HTH,
Holly