"Richard Fish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 2/22/06, Harry Putnam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Anyone know why entries in ~/.inputrc (or for that matter)
>> /etc/inputrc are ignored in xterms?
>
> The .inputrc settings are part of the readline library, which is
> linked to bash.  So any place you are running bash should have
> readline capabilities.  Are you sure you are running bash in your
> xterms?

Yes,  I don't really use any other shells.  And just to make sure
typing echo $SHELL returns the expected /bin/bash.

But it turns out to be something of a false alarm.  I went on about my
business and in the course of things have closed several xterms and
later opened new ones.  Just now while preparing to respond to your
reply I discover the newer xterms all work as expected.

I happened to have logged clear out of X and back in so none of the
other batch are around to check what was happening.  It entirely
possible it was all user induced somehow.