On Wednesday 22 February 2006 13:13, "Brandon Enright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote about 'RE: [gentoo-user] NTP problem':
> Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
> I can't speak for others but my experience with pool.ntp.org has been
> very poor.  Some of the servers are close by and low latency and others
> are in far off lands.

I've never had a problem, but I use one of the geographic sub-pools.

> You may want to see if you can peer with a local university, military
> base, ISP, or company in addition to pool.ntp.org.  There is a lot to
> say for reliable average latency over your list of peers.  Adding a few
> more will really help out.

That's true.  Also, many ISPs run an NTP server and it's either poorly (or
purposely not) advertised.  Check ntp.<your isp here> to see if it'll peer
with you, since it'll probably be about as close as you can get network
wise.  Heck, they don't advertise it (AFAICT) but the first upstream IP
from my cable modem has an ntpd listening and you definitely can't get any
closer than that.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]