I've played around with your suggestions but had no joy with them.
Syslog-ng came up with many errors and although I tried different
combinations I couldn't get it to work.

Root-tail is cool but it gets covered up by different windows.  Do you
launch it as a default by entering a line in /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 ?

Xconsole does what I want it to do, but I would also like to get tty12
printing all messages and ideally would like xconsole to be positioned
above the fluxbox toolbar (height wise).
--
Regards,
Mick