> > I was originally using wpa_supplicant with this Airport and it wasn't
> > working.  John Jolet said:
> >
> > "well, you DON'T use wpa_supplicant."
>
> I'm not aware of any issues regarding the use of wpa_supplicant with
> regards to WEP.
> It is supported.
>
> > and I've been working with wireless-tools ever since.  I'm using:
> >
> > ifconfig ath0 up
> > iwconfig ath0 essid Myessid
> > iwconfig ath0 key s:Mykey
> > pump -i ath0
>
> > I tried dhcpcd and it didn't work either.  Knoppix was using pump
> > sucessfully so I tried that with Gentoo as above.
>
> > Honestly, how could this not be a package versions issue?  The above
> > commands work on the Knoppix 4 DVD but not on up-to-date Gentoo.
> >
> > - Grant
>
> For the sake of testing change your commands to what I use.
> This works on all the access points that I connect to:
>
> iwconfig ath0 essid [YOUR_ESSID]
> iwconfig ath0 mode managed
> iwconfig ath0 channel [no]
> iwconfig ath0 enc [YOUR_HEXKEY]
>
> Maybe just specifying the channel and mode......just a long shot.
>
> Could you post the output of "iwconfig"?.
>
> Come to think of it what does your "/etc/conf/net
> and /etc/conf/wireless" have set.
> There could be some conflicting configurations.
> Check those two files out!!!
>
> Rob

I am very happy to report that this has been fixed and is now working
with the Gentoo init.d script.  It was a package version issue with
madwifi-driver.  These are in portage:

0.1443.20060207
0.1440.20060206
0.1420.20060201
0.1401.20060117
0.1_pre20050420-r1

and the ONLY one that will connect to the Airport router is
0.1401.20060117.  I should submit a bug, no?

- Grant