Hi all--

For some days now, I've been having a problem with almost all media
players and one emulator.

Xine 1.1.1-r4 opened, but crashed when closing the splash screen.

Totem 1.3.91 (bmg, gstreamer backend) opened, and then crashed immediately.

mplayer was OK (but I prefer xine, and naturally was concerned about the
other two crashing like that).

FakeNES 0.3.1 with Allegro >4.1 (yes, I tried all three versions)
crashed with a signal #6 in Allegro (but 0.1.5 with Allegro 4.0.3 worked
fine, so I just masked everything above that combination).

I ultimately found that the error was the same for all three programs:

totem: conf.c:3144: snd_config_iterator_first: Bewering `node->type ==
SND_CONFIG_TYPE_COMPOUND' mislukt.

The same line number, even, but in what program or library's conf.c, was
the question.

Goolgling revealed that the problem was ALSA, but the only solution I
found was to downgrade ALSA.

So I did that, masking

=media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.11_rc3
=media-libs/alsa-oss-1.0.11_rc3
=media-sound/alsa-firmware-1.0.11_rc3
=media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.11_rc3

and then doing an emerge -uaDNtv world to downgrade those packages (to
1.0.10, for the most part).

Lo and behold, Totem and Xine suddenly worked again. I unmasked Allegro
and FakeNES-0.3.1, and that works too (got FakeNES 0.3.1 open right now).

Hurrah!! The problem is, this seems very much to be a bug in some ALSA
ebuild (the person whose advice I followed on the ALSA-user's list was
also a Gentoo user, also using 1.0.11_rc3), but I don't know which part
of ALSA (which package of the four I downgraded I should file the bug
against), nor what precisely to file as a bug; can I get away with
"Alsa-* fails with multiple applications"? I mean, basically, all I know
is that downgrading some part of ALSA allowed these programs to run when
they stopped before-- which is weird enough in itself, since I upgraded
ALSA on the 5th of February, and this issue just manifested itself,
afaik...  I *think* xine and Totem were running up to a couple of days
ago. So it could be something else I upgraded that broke ALSA, but that
takes me completely out of my depth in terms of bug-testing.

I seem to have found a bug, and it seems to be related to ALSA, but may
be triggered by something else.

Is anybody else seeing this kind of issue, first of all, and second of
all, does anybody know how I can determine where the bug actually is so
I can submit it?

Thanks for any help,
Holly