John J. Foster schreef:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 02:59:19AM +0100, Holly Bostick wrote:
>> John J. Foster schreef:
>>> Good evening,
>>>
>>> I'm running a KDE desktop and in the File Open dialog boxes on
>>> both Firefox & OOo I can't seem to find where to tell them to
>>> display hidden folders and/or files.
>> For firefox, if a Save dialog, select "Browse for other folders",
>> then right-click inside the file list on the right  -- not the
>> folder list on the left-- and select "Show hidden files". For the
>> Open dialog, you don't have to browse, obviously.
>
> Thanks, that works fine. Even for the "Open File", which I'm not sure
> why you wouldn't think I'd have to browse.

Sorry, it was late for me and I was typing fast. What I meant is that
for the Save dialog, you have to open the "Browse" section of the dialog
window by opening "Browse for other folders", so showing hidden files is
two steps, but the Open dialog begins with a Browse window, so you only
have one step.

>> However, if you do this a lot, you might consider making a symlink
>> from the hidden folder or file to a link of the same name, but
>> without the preceding ".", that way the symlink won't be hidden.
>>
> Yeah, but that's really lame that I'd have to do that. OOo can be so
> advanced on some things, and so incredibly stupid on others.

Lame? I dunno. Is it 'lamer' than having to type a path or filename in
the dialog? Or 'lamer' than Joseph's suggestion (which doesn't work for
me using OO.o-2.02_rc2):

Joseph schreef:

> Yes, it is there for OO as well. When you click on Open File, the
> window will have few icons, click on the available icons and you will
> find it :-)

In my Open dialog (OOWriter), there are 3 button icons: Up one level in
the filetree, Make new folder, and Home. This is exactly what I would
expect, and these buttons do exactly what I would expect. There is no
context menu for them, and if the menu exists on the main window, I
don't see it, and I didn't find it in the Preferences screen last night.

I don't know about you, but to me, one 10-second task (making a symlink
to a folder which is likely not hidden by my choice but by default, such
as config files in my /home folder which I often edit), and afterwards
knowing that it's /done/ and I don't have to worry about it any more, is
much less 'lame' than having to search for 10 minutes for a stupid
setting in the program in question (Firefox, as a GNOME program, puts
the setting one place, Krusader, as a KDE program, puts the setting
another place, and OO.o, as an independent program, puts it $DEITY knows
where, if the setting exists at all).

But perhaps you have different needs (as a single home user, I don't
particularly have any need to hide any files from possible abuse, so
while I may work with hidden files often, they aren't
"mission-critical", voluntarily hidden files).

Holly