On Sunday 26 February 2006 16:20, gentuxx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about
'Re: [gentoo-user] BS dependencies?':
> rdate doesn't give me the functionality that I'm looking for as it
> expects to connect to the (x)?inetd 'time' subdaemon, instead of an
> ntpd server.  But, removing some of the "heavier" USE flags (php,
> apache2, etc.) brought me down to net-misc/ntp and 2 other
> dependencies (libcap and swig), which I thought were acceptable.

You could also try openntpd.  It seems to be lacking some features (ntpq
doesn't work against it, for example) but it will connect to an ntp server
and set your time.

Of course with net-misc/ntp you get the ntpdate binary and startup script
that are pure clients, to completely avoid running a daemon at all.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest