Harry Putnam schreef:

> cat /proc/asound/cards 0 [V8237          ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237 VIA
> 8237 with AD1980 at 0xc800, irq 201
>

> I did install alsa-utils and ran alsaconf.  /etc/modules.d/alsa looks
>  like this:
>
> alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss alias
> /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
>
> # Set this to the correct number of cards. # --- BEGIN: Generated by
> ALSACONF, do not edit. --- # --- ALSACONF version 1.0.11rc2 --- alias
>  snd-card-0 snd-via82xx alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx # --- END:
> Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
>
> Should the oss stuff be there?

Yes, it should (imo); many apps use ALSA's OSS emulation to play sounds.
So it's wise to have it unless you want to investigate every sound app
you use to make sure it's ALSA-capable.

> I've put alsasound into run level 3 and rebooted.
>
> On starting kde I still get a dialog message about the sound server
> being unavailable.  No play tools work.
>
> (lsmod output at the end)
>
> Running the command line util `play' on a wav file shows this:
>
> reader > play WestMemphisBlues_SonnyBoyWilliamson2.wav ALSA lib
> confmisc.c:672:(snd_func_card_driver) cannot find card '0' <snip>
> ALSA lib conf.c:3960:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such
> device ALSA lib pcm.c:2107:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM
> default sox: Failed writing default: cannot open audio device

OK, here's the thing. Forgive me if I'm going too far back to basics,
but....

The VIA 8237 is an onboard sound chip. I have one myself. As such, it's
controlled by the BIOS. Since you have previously not used sound on this
machine, it's within the realm of possibility (imo) that you disabled
the sound chip in the BIOS, which -- if that was the case-- would
possibly explain why the card is not being found when you actually try
to use it.

Have you checked, or would you check your BIOS and confirm that the
onboard sound is enabled there?

Holly