On Thursday 02 March 2006 04:58 Holly Bostick was like:
> I am (at this very moment, actually) upgrading to Xorg 7.0, after which
> I'm going to enable the r300 drivers (I have a 9800SE), and if those
> don't help, I'm going to see if the fglrx drivers work better under 7.0
> than under 6.8.2.

I have just upgraded to X.org 7.0 and there is still a problem (using fglrx)
with black rectangles, although not as bad. However the slow typing problem
has become much less severe, which means (Hooray!) that Scribe under wine is
now usable.

While I was waiting to get the new xorg version running I tried to run the
program remotely using Apple X11 (Panther version) on a clapped out
Wallstreet II Powerbook. It was hard to see exactly what was going on with
speed because of an unrelated problem to do with fonts, but it certainly
looked like the boxes were getting drawn very slowly indeed. As Apple X11 is
based on an earlier version of XFree86, this suggests that the slow screen
rendering problem was with the version of XFree/X.org used, rather than with
fglrx as such.

Any many thanks, Holly, for showing me the way.

Robert
--
Robert Persson

Conspiracy Bears:
Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...