On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:19:57 +0100, Jonatan Antoni wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> my problem of the freezing x-screen with the proprietary nvidia-drivers
> and firefox is solved for the moment. I've just disabled the drivers
> agp-support by setting the option nvagp to zero in xorg.conf.
> For me, it made no difference whether to use nvagp or agpgart, both leads
> in a hung-up.
>
> Thanks for your ideas.
> Jonatan

I had a 5200 card and two monitors and have never had this trouble --
either when using twinview or dual head modes.

Here's an experiment.

unmerge nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel and try installing the nvidia drivers
directly using their compile settings and installation routines.

Next, check your xorg.conf file again. Another poster suggested correctly
that you should have Load "dbe" as well as Load "extmod" (see the sample
configuration file included with the source.

Next, check how the agpgart module is loaded. Is it built into the kernel?
Is it a module? Is modprobe agpgart being run? It must be a module if you
are going to use the NVAGP option. Without agpgart loaded, nvidia drivers
might bonk.0

More than likely, unless there is a hardware failure, your problem is one
of configuration. Hopefully, this will get you going in the proper
direction.

I have used the nvidia drivers for almost 3 years with both the 5200 and
6200 cards and various different screen configurations, including laptops.
I _DO_ know that configuration is a total bear. Not easy, confusing, and
not intuitive!

A good way to see what a bare nvidia configuration will be like is to run
Xorg -configure. It will create a file in /root called xorg.conf.new which
will show every option the driver (in this case nvidia) reports.

While I currently only have one monitor, FWIW here is xorg.conf.new as
reported by Xorg -configure for my setup.

HTH

xorg.conf.new:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/modules"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "DigitalVibrance"           # <i>
        #Option     "NoFlip"                    # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Dac8Bit"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoLogo"                    # [<bool>]
        #Option     "UBB"                       # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Stereo"                    # <i>
        #Option     "SWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "HWcursor"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "VideoKey"                  # <i>
        #Option     "NvAGP"                     # <i>
        #Option     "IgnoreEDID"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoDDC"                     # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ConnectedMonitor"          # <str>
        #Option     "ConnectedMonitors"         # <str>
        #Option     "TVStandard"                # <str>
        #Option     "TVOutFormat"               # <str>
        #Option     "RenderAccel"               # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CursorShadow"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CursorShadowAlpha"         # <i>
        #Option     "CursorShadowXOffset"       # <i>
        #Option     "CursorShadowYOffset"       # <i>
        #Option     "UseEdidFreqs"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "FlatPanelProperties"       # <str>
        #Option     "TwinView"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "TwinViewOrientation"       # <str>
        #Option     "SecondMonitorHorizSync"    # <str>
        #Option     "SecondMonitorVertRefresh"  # <str>
        #Option     "MetaModes"                 # <str>
        #Option     "UseInt10Module"            # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo"    # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoRenderExtension"         # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Overlay"                   # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CIOverlay"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ForceEmulatedOverlay"      # [<bool>]
        #Option     "TransparentIndex"          # <i>
        #Option     "OverlayDefaultVisual"      # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NvEmulate"                 # <i>
        #Option     "NoBandWidthTest"           # [<bool>]
        #Option     "CustomEDID-CRT-0"          # <str>
        #Option     "CustomEDID-CRT-1"          # <str>
        #Option     "CustomEDID-DFP-0"          # <str>
        #Option     "CustomEDID-DFP-1"          # <str>
        #Option     "CustomEDID-TV-0"           # <str>
        #Option     "CustomEDID-TV-1"           # <str>
        #Option     "TVOverScan"                # <f>
        #Option     "IgnoreDisplayDevices"      # <str>
        #Option     "MultisampleCompatibility"  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "RegistryDwords"            # <str>
        #Option     "RegistryBinary"            # <str>
        #Option     "NoPowerConnectorCheck"     # [<bool>]
        #Option     "AllowDFPStereo"            # [<bool>]
        #Option     "XvMCUsesTextures"          # [<bool>]
        #Option     "HorizSync"                 # <str>
        #Option     "VertRefresh"               # <str>
        #Option     "AllowGLXWithComposite"     # [<bool>]
        #Option     "RandRRotation"             # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ExactModeTimingsDVI"       # [<bool>]
        #Option     "Coolbits"                  # <i>
        #Option     "AllowDDCCI"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ConstantFrameRateHint"     # [<bool>]
        #Option     "LoadKernelModule"          # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ClearCube"                 # [<bool>]
        #Option     "PredefinedTimings"         # <i>
        #Option     "EmulatedOverlaysTimerMs"   # <i>
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "Unknown Board"