Harry Putnam wrote:
I guess I sort of thought there was some trick way to just compile a
module and not do all the linking and grinding of `make' against the
whole tree.
Unless you've done 'make clean' previously, 'make' will only compile required files based on changes you've made to your config. My laptop runs a monolithic kernel with very few modules (PCMCIA and USB hotplugged stuff), but as long as I'm not changing versions, adding or removing features usually only involves compiling a few source files and linking the bzImage.

If you just want to build new modules and haven't made any changes to the actual kernel, 'make' can be left out since the bzImage doesn't need rebuilding - 'make modules modules_install' will be sufficient to build and install your newly selected modules.

If you've run 'make clean', which removes all previously compiled objects, a monolithic kernel will have to be rebuilt from scratch - but once again, running only 'make modules modules_install' will rebuild all your modules but leave the kernel itself alone.

HTH.