On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 12:04:44 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

snip...
> [nomerge      ]  sys-apps/pmount-0.9.6  USE="crypt"
> [ebuild  N    ]   sys-fs/cryptsetup-luks-1.0.1-r2  USE="nls -dynamic" 0 kB
>
> Does the `noemerge' just mean its not installing in this output or
> that it won't be installed unless cryptsetup-luks is ...?

the vt in the emerge command shows a tree. This output means that pmount
(which is already emerged) depeneds on cryptsetup-luks. This now explains
your problem. You already have cryptsetup installed, but pmount wants
luks. I don't know how you could have emerged this before without luks
trying to come in.

> kde-base/kdebase-kioslaves-3.5.1 depends on pmount so I guess I'll keep
> it.

Well, you need to fix things first. See below.

> But this doesn't really answer why I didn't get better output on the
> test emerge -vuDp world... does it?

It's the t for tree command in emerge that gets you better output.

pmount explictly wants luks. So, if that's the case, you must first
unmerge cryptsetup and then do your normal emerge -uD world. luks should
come in.

I would do some research first and make sure you won't hose any encrypted
filesystems you may have. You may also want to check why pmount can't work
with regular cryptsetup. Maybe it's a developer bug? Check bugzilla.

--
Peter