Zac Medico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>   rsnapshot-1.2.2
>>   bacula-1.48.5
>>   cvs-emacs-24
>
> The example for package.provided syntax in `man portage` shows categories
> like this:
>
> app-backup/rsnapshot-1.2.2
> app-backup/bacula-1.48.5
> app-editors/emacs-cvs-24

Ok, I'm a little gun shy to post this now but I'm still seeing
somethign screwy.

cat /etc/portage/package.provided
app-backup/rsnapshot-1.2.2
app-backup/bacula-1.48.5
app-editors/emacs-cvs-24

emerge -vp app-editors/emacs-cvs:
  Calculating dependencies... done!
    [ebuild U ] app-editors/emacs-cvs-22.0.50-r1 [22.0.50] USE="X gif
    gtk jpeg nls png spell -Xaw3d -tiff" 0 kB

Man portage mentions a version must be included:
                     Format:
                     - comments begin with #
                     - one DEPEND atom per line
                     - relational operators are not allowed
                     - must include a version

It also says:
  . . . . . . Portage will  not  attempt  to  update  a
  package  that  is  listed  here  unless  another  package
  explicitly requires a version that is newer than what has
  been  listed.

So I thought maybe it didn't like my fake version so changed it to:

   app-editors/emacs-cvs-22.0.50-r1
And I still get the same output.

Removing the -r1 since its not really emacs versioning and I still get
the same output...
Something is making emerge ignore this package.provided