Good Morning Folks:

I have been doing some reading over the last day or two about a SSH bot
attack that is occurring in some places.  I will be the first to admit
that I have been a bit lax with my ssh security (allowing root logins
etc).  This problem has inspired me to get things cleaned up, and flying
right again.  I have already modified my ssh config to prevent root
logins via ssh, so that hole is closed.  In talking to a friend
yesterday, he suggested using key based authentication to further
protect my servers, which sounds like a great idea.  The problem is that
I have no idea how to set it up.  A google search turned up the Gentoo
pages on keychain, which does not sound exactly like what he was talking
about (he mentioned a key carried on a JUMP drive (usb stick))

I am using gentoo (and fedora (soon to be converted) servers) and PUTTY.
If someone can offer suggestions, or point me in the right direction, I
would be most appreciative.

Timothy A. Holmes
IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3
Jeremiah 29:11