On 3/9/06, Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey group,
>
> I am a long time Linux user, however I am new to Gentoo.  I used Red
> Hat/Fedora for many years, then my own Linux based on LFS and the last
> year I have been using Ubuntu.
>
> I really like Ubuntu because of apt, however I have had frustrations
> with Ubuntu because it could be a pain to get newer versions of packages
> installed.  For example Ubuntu defaulted to Apache 1.x for mod_mono.
>
> I have now been using Gentoo for a few days and I am running into some
> issues I hope this group can help with.  At first emerge was trying to
> merge some really old packages.  For example I wanted mysql 5.x, php 5.x
> and Apache 2.x and Gentoo was only going to install mysql 4.x.  I did
> find out about ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" which has helped with getting more
> recent versions of software installed.
>
> I am looking for any good links, tips, suggestions of admin software to
> emerge, etc to help me learn the ins-and-outs of Gentoo.  I have tons of
> questions but don't know where to look.  Well, I can google but that
> takes ages and I was hoping many of you on this list will have a nice
> set of bookmarks on gentoo admin, handy gentoo software, tips etc.
>
> Some tasks I could do in Fedora/Ubuntu that I want to know how to do on
> Gentoo:

Welcome to Gentoo... I'm sure you will find it much easier to maintain
then Fedora or Ubuntu, especially if you need newer packages. If you
have any questions I would suggest you google them first, for example
if you want to learn how to setup Samba on Gentoo I would google for
"Gentoo samba" if you do a query like that the best pages are usually
in the top 2 or 3 results. There are some excellent docs sites too...
my favorites are:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Main_Page
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml

Regarding the specific questions you have...
> See list of all *installed* software.
> See what version of a particular software package is installed.
> See if any new versions of *installed* software are available.

emerge gentoolkit and read the man page for equery it does all of this
stuff for you. I would also encourage you to read up on emerge as it
is a very powerful tool for all things Portage.

> Browse available software that can be installed.

You can do this with emerge -s <packagename> but IMO to get any really
useful information check out http://www.gentoo-portage.com or
http://packages.gentoo.org. Also if you need something that is exotic
and not in Portage yet you can check out http://bugs.gentoo.org and
search for an ebuild or write one yourself.

-Mike