jerry schreef:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
>>>
>> Myself, I'm starting to wonder if this isn't a mirror issue (what
>> mirror are you sync-ing with
>>
>> If you've synced twice already, and you're still getting such old
>> packages (2.6.*11*??), there's gotta be something wrong with your
>> mirror or your cache, it seems to me.
>>

> Here is /etc/make.conf:
>
> These settings were set by the catalyst build script that
> automatically built this stage # Please consult
> /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example CFLAGS="-O2
> -march=pentium3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe" CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
>  CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
>
> GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/
> http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo http://gentoo. seren.com/gentoo"
> SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
<snip>

> I am new to and learning how gnetoo works, but I don't quite follow
> your line of thought; I download packages from osuosl.org (oregon
> state?) but when I sync I seem to hit a random server somewhere. Last
>  time I synced it was in Milwaukee,Wisc.

Yes, that's correct. Syncing with the Portage tree (that's the "SYNC"
setting, above) is a different operation than downloading packages (from
the "GENTOO_MIRRORS" setting above).

You sync your Portage tree from a pool of Portage servers on your
continent. Which server is chosen is random; this decreases the load on
the individual members of the server group.

I take it you're in the U.S., so you're syncing with the US pool; I'm in
The Netherlands, so my SYNC variable looks like this:

SYNC="rsync://rsync.nl.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

When I emerge --sync, I connect to one of the various Gentoo rsync
servers in this country randomly.

However, whenever I download tarballs, they come from one of these servers:

GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.easynet.nl/mirror/gentoo/
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo
http://gentoo.osuosl.org";

And if the file is not found on any of them, the ebuild will usually
direct Portage to attempt to download directly from the homepage of the
project or Sourceforge, whichever is applicable.

This is all as it should be.

In any case, the problem I was trying to track is whether the reason
your local Portage tree was not current, even though you've synced,
might not be because the remote Portage tree you were syncing with was
not current (it can happen; servers change or are not often updated, and
if your profile was very old, you might be using an old server that
wasn't in sync with the times).

However, it's hard to imagine that the US pool might not be current.

[General question] What else might prevent a sync from actually updating
the local tree correctly?

Ummmm.... unless it actually has, and the problem is Portage not knowing
it somehow....

Would you do an

ls /usr/portage/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources/

and post the output?

I'm just wondering if the ebuilds are physically there or not.

> I have the uninformed naging thought that I am having this problem
> because I have not upgraded gcc from 3.3.6. I posted this thought
> earlier but no one commented on its likelihood.

I cannot imagine what gcc (your compiler) would have to do with the
contents of the Portage tree, or why you would think it did :-) .
Upgrading GCC or not doing so has nothing, as far as I know, to do with
rsync or the actual functionality of updating your Portage tree.
Certainly gcc
is not involved in any way in actually updating the Portage tree, which,
as far as we currently know (until you post the output of that ls,
anyway), is the issue at hand.

HTH,
Holly