Sarpy Sam wrote:
I am assuming the kernel is built with JFS support compiled in and not
as a module.

I am not a genkernel user but couldn't you boot the machine like this,

root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.15-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/hda2

This will test if it's a kernel problem or a boot splash problem.

Kirby

I gave that a go , but still no luck. I'm having one of those days.

I think I'll reinstall using reiser - I thought that jfs would be fine since the installer gave me the option. I assume that had I done a network install that I probably would've got a kernel with jfs ? My install was completely from the live cd.

thanks!