Aggelos schreef:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
>
>> I myself have a 9800SE, and also use vesa-tng for fbsplash. Both
>> fbsplash/framebuffer and fglrx work fine; aside from the fb console
>>  background, I can even play mplayer videos in the getty console,
>> which is also a framebuffer operation as far as I know. I have
>> heard that enabling the radeon framebuffer is a bad idea, though
>> (it doesn't work well with the fglrx drivers). But stick to vesa or
>>  vesa-tng, and you should have no problems. I haven't, from 2.6.13
>> kernels up to my current (2.6.15-r7), and with fglrx versions from
>> 8.8.whatever to my current 8.22.5.
>>
> Could you tell me the options you are passing to the kernel at boot
> time (I am using grub) for the vesa-tng ?

Sure, sorry it took so long to get back to you; I've been busy in RL.

(from an old grub.conf backup; ignore the kernel version, as the options
don't change-- I just change the title as I upgrade).

 Gentoo_current (2.6.12-gentoo-r10)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /vmlinuz ro quiet root=/dev/hda5
video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
splash=silent,fadein,theme:livecd-2005.1 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1

It's pretty much exactly the same as the example on the Wiki
(http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_gensplash#GRUB_Example), except that with
the upgrade of splashutils, I now need mtrr:3 so that the splash comes
up in a timely fashion (there's an einfo in the ebuild about this iirc),
and of course changed for my system specs.

The only thing that gave me a problem is that I had to set
[EMAIL PROTECTED] as my default resolution for vesa-tng in the kernel
config itself; you're not supposed to /have/ to, but if I didn't, I got
errors when using the livecd themes (no 8bpp pictures, which is correct,
since the livecd themes don't have 8-bit pictures, but this meant that
the drivers were for some reason defaulting to 8-bit if I didn't specify
32-bit in the kernel. Which according to another thread on this subject
is not correct behaviour-- if I specify 32-bit in the grub kernel line,
it's supposed to use that instead-- but that's what it did on my system
anyway. Specifying CONFIG_FB_VESA_DEFAULT_MODE="[EMAIL PROTECTED]" solved
the issue, since I don't like the Emergence theme, which does have 8-bit
pictures, so worked correctly in all cases).

Hope this helps,
Holly