On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 07:37 -0500, Denis wrote:
> Iain,
>
> So are you saying that a P4 is actually faster with HT disabled, or
> simply that you don't have much to gain by using HT?

Well, I had read (in a previous HT thread on gentoo-user) that it did
indeed degrade performance in many cases, but I've also seen reports
that it increases performance in some areas greatly.

Doing some more investigation I found this page:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-htl/

There is a lot of information out there - I googled for "hyperthreading
performance linux" and got plenty of reading.

So essentially I'm still undecided.

>   I've had a
> dual-Xeon machine with 4 logical processors running Gentoo for a
> couple years now, and I like being able to run 4 threads of
> simulations at the same time.  The threads, when started nearly
> simultaneously, seem to finish the same jobs in nearly the same amount
> of time...

umm.. did I misunderstand something here?  What exactly do you mean by
threads?  If I start some process 4 times on a single core, single cpu
system, each one should finish in nearly the same amount of time,
because process time gets equally allocated... Or did you mean 4 threads
running together finish in the same amount of time as 1 thread running
by itself?

cya,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain at netspace dot net dot au>

You can't cheat the phone company.