On Monday 13 March 2006 12:22 am, Rumen Yotov wrote:
> On Sunday 12 March 2006 19:43, David Corbin wrote:

> > > Add nodroproot to your USE flags and remerge ntp
> >
> > I will, but why does it work fine "from the command line"?
> Hi,

I don't mean to sound like child who continues to go "but why?".  Still, it
doesn't make sense to me.

> Because when it wants to drop it's privileges from root to e.g. ntpd (user
> or group) it can't - get's killed.

First, I don't understand how root could ever have a permission problem try to
"downgrade its privleges".

Second, I don't understand how it could not have the require privileges during
the boot process (presumably running starting as root), and yet it works when
I run it by hand as root.