Unknown wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 22:27 +0100, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> > Unknown wrote:
> > > gnome-session shows mistakes,
>
> right now it showed smth like: "gnomeui-warning": while
> connecting manager: authentication rejected, reason : none of the
> authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based
> authentication failed.

That says it all, doesn't it?  Now, I have no idea what this means,
but google for "none of the authentication protocols specified are
supported" and you'll find plenty to read.

But here are some things to try: run etc-update first.  If that
didn't help, then re-emerge pam with 'emerge --oneshot pam' and run
etc-update again, and show us the output of 'emerge -pv pam'.  Also
post the output of 'emerge --info' and the contents of /etc/hosts.

Another thing to try: go down to single-user mode, clean out /tmp
and /var/tmp: make sure to remove every occurrence of .ICE* and
similar files, also from your home dirs and from root's home dir.

> > In short: too little info.
>
> ok, i agree i am inexpirienced, but it looks a bit like an insult
> to me,

Eh?  Why would I want to insult you?  I'm trying to help you, even
though you are doing almost everything wrong: uninformative subject
line, a rambling vague message, no actual error messages...  And
no, also now I am not trying to insult you, just telling you how
things are.

> i did try to locate smth on google, [...]

You didn't say.  You didn't say all the things you had already tried
and searched.  How am I supposed to know?

Benno