On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 21:52 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Thursday 16 March 2006 12:11, Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about
> 'Re: [gentoo-user] dd if=/dev/dvd of=backup.iso':
> > The strange part is that when I mount the same DVD in amd64-machine all
> > directory and files are listed in small letters (and I know they should
> > be all CAPS).
> >
> > Though, I don't see what difference it could make, but why one machine
> > list the files and directories in small letter and the other one in
> > caps.
>
> One machine is mounting as iso9660; the other is mounting as UDF.  The one
> mounting as UDF is more correct.  This won't make a difference to dd
> (since it operates below the file system) but would affect cp, ll, or any
> other program that required the drive to be mounted.

That would explain but according to my fstab file both should be mount
as iso9660 type;  my x-86 system had entry (showing file in CAP
LETTERS):
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660

my amd64 fstab entry (showing all small letters):
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660
/dev/pktcdvd/0               /mnt/cdrw         udf
/dev/hdc                        /mnt/dvdr          iso9660

on amd64 is used:  mount /dev/hdc  /mnt/dvdr   so it should be mounted
as iso9660 the same line x86-system.

> I used to rip DVDs and CDs using dd w/ conv=noerror.  I find I actually get
> better results with a tool designed to read CDs specifically.  I don't
> know if it is because they better moderate the speed of the drive, or if
> they are simply cognizant of the error correction bits on the disk, but
> I'll never go back to reading CDs or DVDs with dd again.

What program are you using to make iso backup k9copy?

--
#Joseph