On 3/17/06, Ciaran McCreesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:15:56 +0100 Alexander Skwar
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> | Well, you know, in worst case, portage doesn't work anymore.
> | In this case, you'd just have to revert your changes, and
> | everything's fine again.
>
> No, in the worst case Portage ends up with duff cache data, leading to
> utterly inappropriate packages being installed.
>
> --
> Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Wearer of the shiny hat)

Hi,
   I've been using this cdb hack for so long I'd forgotten that it was
there. If it is backed out is there a standard way to use portage
these days that goes reasonably fast and doesn't have these risks.
Granted, the risks are quite low, I think, but better not to take
risks if not required to.

Thanks,
Mark