search bugs.gentoo.org for "ALL lilypond" and you will see a number of
bugs, including one referring to an ebuild for 2.7.0. You may also find
the reason for later versions not being marked stable. The usual reason
however is lack of developers.

This aspect of gentoo is getting worse and worse. This is an
observation. not a complaint.