On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:19:37 -0800
Bob Sanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:46:01 -0500
> JimD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Onboard video uses system memory.  So the bandwidth to memory is
> limited by PCIe, HT,  and two hops to the memory and back.  Figure
> memory bandwidth around 800 MB/s to 1 GB/s tops, if nothing else is
> going on on the bus.
>
> Even an inexpensive 6200 with onboard memory has 4 GB/s or more.  If
> you need the performance, get either a 6600 or wait a bit for the
> newer 7600.
>
> Bob

Thanks Bob.  I didn't think there would be that much difference.  The
on-board NVidia is not any faster than the on-board Intel on my new
laptop.  I think the only difference is the NVidia supports DX9 which I
don't care about.

I thought I could save a few bucks... Oh well I guess I will have to
listen to the wife when I tell her I need a video card : )

Jim