[EMAIL PROTECTED] schreef:
> I'm at <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/tiger-faq.xml>, which
> gives the syntax as: "emerge =sun-jdk-1.5*" but the pretend isn't
> working as I expect it to.
>

> localhost ~ # localhost ~ # localhost ~ # emerge -p =sun-jdk-1.5*
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy
> "=sun-jdk-1.5*" have been masked. !!! One of the following masked
> packages is required to complete your request: -
> dev-java/sun-jdk-1.5.0.06-r2 (masked by: package.mask) #
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> # Many things in the tree don't compile with 1.5
> yet. # 1.5 defaults to -target 1.5, which makes downgrading to a
> 1.4/1.3 # impossible. See bug #69970 and bug 65937 for more
> information. # http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/tiger-faq.xml
>

> For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
> page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

This seems very clear.

"All ebuilds that could satisfy "=sun-jdk-1.5*" have been masked."

"For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man
page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook."

This means that the package is masked (not available for installation
unless explicitly unmasked), for the reasons noted in the error.

If you want it nonetheless, read man emerge to find out how to unmask
the package so it will install.

I can assure you that if you unmask it, it will install (I'm using it,
but I don't compile much, if anything, against Java, so the issue is not
an issue for me).

HTH,
Holly